Thursday, March 29, 2007

They might be angels.

I like to pick up hitch hikers. I really do. Most of friends and family think that I am nuts. They might be dangerous., they might try to hurt you, kill you. One of my friends even stated something like this: " It is better to be a live preacher, than I dead martyr." I like the idea of being in heaven, especially on the days my lower back is killing me.
I have picked up college kids, WTO protesters, and just your average daily nomad. Last summer I went for drive down the Oregon coast, and there was this nice older guy who need a lift. He had a walking stick, and big backpack. Plus it he was about to have to climb over some mountains. So is a Christian to do? Help people. I turn around and pick him up.
He is a nice older man, who was left some money and had a disability were he could not hold down a job, so he decided to travel by foot across America. He had been doing it for something like 20 years. He likes the alone time, and the time he get to meet new people, and hear their stories.
Tuesday I picked up a Nomad again. Her name is Tracey and she is Christian. We had a nice talk about the different places she has been, what God has done in her life, how he has kept her safe on her travels, and that now she feels it is time to settle down, and make amends with her 19 year old son. I stop off at McDonald's bought her some food, and then dropped her off about 70 miles south of where I picked her up. Prayed for her safety and travels and then left her at a spot for the night.
The question I always go back too (after I pray) is what if they are angels?
Hebrews 13:1&2 ESV
Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels.
Tie that in with James 4:17
So who ever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.
and we all know Jesus' teaching on loving others as we want to be loved.
I am not saying that everybody should pick up hitch-hikers. I always pray first to make sure it is the right thing to do. I do not want some demon-manic in my car with a chain saw, or and aids laced needle. What I want to do is help out my fellow man, and show them the love, life and light of Jesus Christ; in world filled with too much darkness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I commend you for putting your faith into action. Keep up the good ministry.